Palaung State Liberation Front (PSLF) Statement on Ever More Expanding Civil War inTa’ang, Kokang and Ethnic RegionsStatement
February 17, 2015
1. The increase of troops and offensives in the Ta’ang, Kachin, Shan, Kokang etc. regions by the Burma/Myanmar government make the fire of civil war to burn increasingly,and it is an act against genuine peace.
2. Myanmar government and Tatmadaw’s current military actions adversely affects theeffort to achieve Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA) and, in addition, it is a gravechallenge to the emergence of political dialogue for resolving political problems bypolitical means. The use of military force more than necessary to expand ever morethe fire of civil war is the old strategy of the Myanmar military leaders to divert attention away from the current political problems they are facing.
3. We, the PSLF/TNLA, strongly protest and condemn Myanmar Tatmadaw’s act ofmassacring innocent local civilians, in the civil war taking place in Kokang region, whichis an inhuman act, in addition to being the violation of the International Law of War.
4. We, the PSLF/TNLA, are a member of the ethnic nationalities’ Nationwide CeasefireCoordinating Team (NCCT) and have participated in consultations drafting the NCA. Inaccordance with the principles of the UNFC, we continue to participate inconsultations for the signing of NCA.
5. We issue this statement for affirming our position that we will join hands firmly withthe local populations to defend our own lands and nationals against the militaryoffensives by Tatmadaw (Burma/Myanmar Army), which has come, under differentpretexts, for over-lording and domination of the ethnic areas, while we areparticipating in consultations for internal peace.
Palaung State Liberation Front (PSLF)
Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA)
Contacts: News and Information Department PSLF/TNLA (95) 09 4931 4951; (86) 157 5894 5170